Your Independent Energy Auditor
1. Meet at the home and discuss your concerns and issues with the house.
2. I'll then go outside and begin measuring and reviewing critical features like attic and exhaust vent outlets.This is where I start to learn about your home's unique features.
3. Safety checks are then done, depending on the home's features. *
4. Run the "blower-door" air leakage test to determine how tight or leaky the home is.
5. Do a scan of the home using a high quality thermal imaging camera as needed.
Depending on the exterior temperature this can be very useful in locating missing or under-insulated areas and where excessive air leakage is occurring.
6. Measure bathroom exhaust fan air flows in cubic feet per minute. The tighter the home is the more airflow is needed to control moisture and other contaminants.
7. Enter accessible attic spaces to check:
8. Advanced testing may be performed as needed such as measuring the amount of surface area that needs sealing between attic and home and between garage and home.
9.Physically inspect wall cavity insulation as needed depending on other factors.
10. Discuss my findings and recommendations with you so you have a good understanding of what is needed to address your concerns and energy efficiency of your home.
11. Back at the office I use all the information gathered to calculate energy usage for your home and estimate annual cost savings for each recommended improvement using Focus on Energy proprietary energy modeling software.
12. Email or mail the report and recommendations to you and we review and discuss options.
13. If you decide to go forward with any work I will coordinate with one of my partnering certified Trade Allies to install all measures to my specifications and Focus on Energy installation standards.
14. After work is completed I will check that all work was properly installed, retest for safe venting of gas fired equipment and test for air leakage with the blower door.
15. If you heat your home with a Natural Gas furnace or boiler you will get your instant discount taken right off your invoice. No paperwork to fill out and no waiting for a refund check.
* If unsafe conditions are found, certain work may not be able to be done. For example, it is unsafe to insulate over old wiring called Knob & Tube wiring. This was used prior to around 1930.